16.3.11

T-minus

L -


10
minutes I stood, leaning against my door, after our first date. Blindsided by your charm, unwilling to admit to myself how I felt.


9
hours before I heard from you again, a cheery good morning text that I was excited to wake up to.


8
months I spent getting to know you. You didn't make it easy, but I assumed you were worth the time and effort.



7
movies watched together on one glorious weekend, where we split our time between the bed and the couch. We subsisted on microwave popcorn and red wine.


6
dates before you saw my bathroom and realized I was a slob. You said it was endearing. You were just being nice.


5
words you spoke that somehow got you into my bed. I took you at your word. I should have waited.


4
miles between our homes. Those roads became as familiar to me as the area I grew up in. We drove them so often.


3
times I thought you were seeing someone else. I was terrified to lose you, but you promised you weren't going anywhere. You convinced me I was over-reacting.


2
a.m., when I realized that I didn't even want the ring you had promised to buy for my left hand, as I looked at your phone and saw the photos that proved your lies and my naiveté. But you were right; you weren't leaving.  I am.


1
decision I will never question or regret. I don't need your excuses, and I won't believe you.  As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and you couldn't talk enough to get yourself out of this.  By the time you read this, I'll be long gone. Don't bother looking for me.


- A

16.3.11 2:40am

No comments: