6.12.12

Songs that Induce Flashbacks


Please join me on a trip down my aural memory lane.....

A Thousand Miles - Vanessa Carlton
It was the spring of 2002, campus was starting to warm up, and the 8th graders were in the  middle of prepping for the best 8th grade play in the history of Thomas Jefferson School (possibly in the history of high school plays ever).  We had just completed our dress rehearsal and had piled into the art room in the dank basement of Main to do a final prop check when the radio came on.  Andy Matuschak started singing first, almost under his breath, but as he got into the song, he got louder, and we all joined in.  We were each in our own little world, worried about the first performance that was looming and avoiding the presence of Miss Fairbank like the plague, but we all realized at some point that we had reached a moment of perfect harmony.  It was beautiful.  And when the song ended, we didn't speak of it.  We just kept on with what needed to get done.  Remembering moments like this make me miss my class.

It Makes Me Ill - *N Sync
One of my roommates in 7th grade was a freshman named Min Hee Han, a transplant from South Korea who was new to the United States.  This was the only song she had in English on her computer, so we listened to it a lot…basically any time I needed a momentary repireve from K-Pop.  I still know every single word, and I gleefully sing along whenever I happen across it.

Canned Heat - Jamiroqui
This will forever be the Napoleon Dynamite song for me.  Probably for many people, really, but I don't just connect it to the movie.  I very clearly remember curling up in bed with my high school boyfriend, in his dorm, and watching this movie.  A few days before, I had tried to teach him to dance - really, it turned into a lesson on basic rhythm which he still failed - and I had continually told him that it wasn't about looking amazing, it was all about not giving a damn what others thought.  He didn't understand what I meant until he saw Napoleon shaking his ass in snow boots in front of the whole student body.  Watching the final dance in Napoleon Dynamite with him was hilarious, and endearing, and I will cherish it as a totally light and funny moment in our otherwise often tumultuous relationship.

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Eric Idle
This is another one that is tied to my high school boyfriend.  The song itself doesn't mean a lot to me, but the circumstances around it will stick with me forever.  He had a single his senior year, and we had pushed the two bunk beds together into a king-size bed for, ya know, convenience, but we really only ever slept on one side of it.  Anyway, one day while he was playing soccer with his friends, my best friend at the time, her boyfriend, and I all decided to sit on the bed and watch Life of Brian.  I was on the side Blake slept on, and the other two were on the spare bed, as it were.  Blake came in from playing soccer and initially balked at us being there, until his best friend told him to man up, stop his bitching, and go climb in bed with his girlfriend.  So he did.  He climbed in bed and cuddled right behind me.  To be honest, I don't even remember the end of the movie, other than hearing the song, because he wrapped his arms around me and whispered in my ear "When are those two leaving?"

Innocent - Our Lady Peace
The first guy I was serious about in college was obsessed with this song.  It meant the world to him because he was dealing with some pretty serious family issues at the time, and because it meant so much to him, and I heard it incessantly for a while, I will forever flash back to those days when this song comes on.

Playground Love - Air
This song was featured in the movie The Virgin Suicides, a Sofia Coppola film about a family of teenage sisters and the boys who were obsessed with them.  It deals with love, lust, grief, and fear in very moving ways.  It is one of two movies ever that have affected me so deeply that it changed my mood for several days after I saw it.  This one caused me to think a lot.  The other genuinely brought back my depression.  I like this film more now because of it, and this song always takes me back to that first viewing.

I Say A Little Prayer For You - the Cast of My Best Friend's Wedding
This was one of only a couple DVDs we had in our dorm in 7th grade, and thus we watched it incessantly.  We were so obsessed, actually, that we made up a dance to the song…which I could probably still do.  Those totally carefree moments of dancing, singing, and falling into a heap on the floor in laughter are what I miss most about TJ.


Tell Her About It - Billy Joel
I listened to this song on repeat my junior year of high school, when things were in an off-again pattern with my then-boyfriend.  It's really a damn good song for those situations. 

Thickfreakness - The Black Keys
Flashback to a little concert in a little coffee bar by a little band called Mississippi Moonshine.  Hearing those opening chords, I may have been the only person in the place (other than the 2 on stage) who knew what song it was, and I was thrilled to see it come to life in front of me.  Just thinking about it makes me smile.

The Bad Touch - Bloodhound Gang
I was in 6th grade when this song came out.  I was, by all accounts, too young to really understand anything they were saying.  That didn't stop us from analyzing the shit out of every line in P.E. rather than playing kickball though.  We were so giggly and awkward because we were talking about a taboo topic right in front of everyone.  Little kids are funny.

Jump Rope - Blue October
The first Red White and Boom that Nida and I went to featured Blue October.  I was already in love with this song, but seeing it live made my entire year.  It's just so catchy and fun and has a great message.  And Jesus Christ, hearing his voice live was one of the sexiest things I've ever experienced.  Seriously.

Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks & Fancy - Reba McIntyre
These are listed together because they take me back to essentially the same experience. Driving in the car with my mom, singing at the top of our lungs, hitting every single note and run, then praying it would get played again.  This is back before CDs, mp3s, and satellite radio, obviously.  My dad hated (hates) country mustic, so driving just the two of us, we would crank it up as loud as we could.  It was a bonding experience, for sure. (Also, let's take a moment to appreciate how great they both are live, and how horrible costumes were in the 90s.)

The Blower's Daughter - Damien Rice & Better Together - Jack Johnson
2nd semester, senior year of high school, Green 3.  Picture about a dozen 11th and 12th graders, all curled up on the floor, homework  discarded all around, playing Apples to Apples and listening to Damien Rice & Jack Johnson (we'd occasionally turn off the music to watch The OC or HIMYM).  These were some genuinely great afternoons.

Take 5 - Dave Brubeck
Sophomore year of HS, I went to a Brubeck concert with a bunch of schoolmates.  Two of us ended up sitting in the bathroom for most of the second act and talking, while enjoying the concert that was being played through the speaker system. She and I were never particularly close - either before or after that night - but for that one night we spilled our souls, laughed, and cried. 

I Am Henry VIII, I Am - Herman's Hermits
My dad has some very strange obsession with this song that I will never understand, but every time I hear it, I think back to hearing him singing it loudly in the car one day.  I call him every time I hear it just to see what he's up to.

I Just Had Sex - The Lonely Island
This isn't even a particularly good song, but I will never - EVER - forget hearing my (then) 13 year old brother belting it out…not realizing our mother could hear his every word, and then watching her face get more and more disturbed, disappointed, and shocked as he continued on.  She ended up shaking her head and just walking away, and he was none the wiser.

Bathwater - No Doubt
When  No Doubt's greatest hits came out, I was obsessed. I listened to it incessantly, and I would listen to it on repeat in the shower (I had a shower CD player…super fancy for back then).  This song makes me flash back so strongly that I can still smell the strawberry shampoo I used for a while back then.  Seriously.

Can't Get Enough of You Baby - Smashmouth
My mom once was mad at my dad, and when singing to this song, she changed all the lyrics.  It became I Get Too Much of You Baby.  Easily the funniest thing I've ever heard her come up with.  I wish I remembered all the words…

Baby Got Back - Sir Mix A Lot
Laura and I memorized every word to this song, and would perform it without any music, pretty much whenever it struck us, regardless of situation.  There was random dancing to go along with it, but we were way more focused on hitting every word and emphasizing our butts while doing so.  8th grade was an interesting time.


I'm sure there are more, and I'm sure they will hit me as soon as I have posted this, leaving me with a feeling of "HOW DID YOU FORGET THAT?!"  Alas.  This really has been a fun little trip down memory lane for me.

NOW, if you've stuck with me this far, please share the songs that will always cause you to flashback.  I want to hear stories, people! :)

6.12.12  11:00pm

No comments: