12.9.11

Have you ever listened to a song that had an immediate and profound impact on you?

That happened to me today. A song came on in iTunes with a play count of 1 (not surprising, given the quantity of music I possess).  The song played through, and I realized that all other actions had ceased while it was on.  I immediately played it again.  The second time, I not only listened, but I felt it.  It was like my heart and gut were listening too.  The words struck right at the core of me, and I could feel them resonating there.  I put the song on replay.  By the fourth listen, I knew every word and run.  By the tenth, I felt tears welling up.  As I write, I am on play count 21.  I can't bring myself to turn it off.

We've all experienced a moment where a lyric, quote, or poem has stayed with us, seeming like it was written about us.  Tonight, it felt like this song was written to serve as a voice for my subconscious -- it embodies everything I hadn't realized I was feeling, until I heard it set to music.  It verbalizes thoughts I could never have formed in such a beautiful, coherent way.  It struck me.  And maybe I'll listen to it tomorrow and think it's too melodramatic.  Maybe I just got caught up in a moment and let it overtake me tonight.  Even so, the connection I feel right now to these lyrics is unshakable.  Even while writing, I am struggling to focus on the words.  My eyes keep closing.  My ears are trained solely on the music.

I'm listening to a woman I'll never meet singing every word I've never been brave enough to admit.

Play count: 24.


12:15am  12.9.11

1 comment:

JT said...

So.... what was the song...